Welcome! As we get under way with the 2011 – 2012 Academic year, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as your Career Counselor.
Career development is a key component of your professional growth as teachers, counselors, psychologists, and educational administrators and leaders. At GSE Career Services, we offer many programs to help you maximize your opportunities and development at every point in your graduate student years and beyond.
FOR STUDENTS BEGINNING GRADUATE STUDY:
- Come stop in and introduce yourself! It is never too early to start developing a plan to achieve your career goals. You can access my schedule and make a counseling appointment by registering through Fordham’s CareerLink.
- Attend Employer Information Sessions, Panels, and Workshops. Your early years of graduate school are an excellent time to work on your resume and interview skills, network with employers, and learn about opportunities that interest you.
FOR STUDENTS PREPARING TO GRADUATE:
- Now is the time to get underway with your job search! Start by making a Career Counseling appointment to discuss goals and strategies or to have your resume reviewed. Resume reviews are also done via email; send it as a Word attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will return it to you within 2-3 business days. Also feel free to email me anytime with questions about everything from how to follow up with an employer to how to put together a demo lesson.
- Check out the job postings on CareerLink. You may apply directly through the site, or follow the instructions of the employer. Postings occasionally will also be sent to your Fordham email.
- Network with employers in a small group setting at Information Sessions. Dates, times, and locations are posted on the Events Calendar of the GSE Career Services Website.
- Participate in Workshops and Panels. Workshops help you to refine a particular skill, such as resume writing and interviewing. Panels give you a chance to learn about the trends in relevant fields directly from a panel of employers and professionals. Workshops and Panels are posted on the Events Calendar of the GSE Career Services Website.
- Participate in the Graduate School of Education Career Fair, to be held on March 12, 2012, in the Pope Auditorium. Starting in November and continuing until the date of the fair, you can check CareerLink for the list of attending schools and agencies.
- All services open to students are also open to GSE alumni! Feel free to participate in Information Sessions, Workshops, Panels, the Career Fair, and individualized Career Counseling.
- In addition to myself, Career Services also provides a Career Counselor who specializes in alumni, Jorimel Zaldivar. You may make an appointment with Jorimel, myself, or have a joint appointment with both of us to work on your career goals.
- Check the GSE and GSE Career Services websites regularly for information on alumni specific workshops and panels throughout the year.
I am looking forward to a great year!
Abigail Woods Ferreira
Career Counselor, Graduate School of Education
33 West 60th Street, Room 816
New York, NY 10023